Buy a Gift Voucher
Gift this class
Natural Dyeing with Ilka White
** Should this page be showing no dates available, please go to this link
Plants have been used to dye fibre and fabric for thousands of years and a beautiful natural palette is still available to you without the need for harmful chemicals. Local weeds or kitchen off-cuts can offer harmonious hues in a range of values and intensity. This hands-on workshop introduces a selection of local colour possibilities, as well as discussing fibre types, mordanting options and safety of dyes. Shibori techniques will also be used to produce patterned cloth. Come and discover some of nature’s hidden sources of colour!
Please bring to the class:
1. A Bucket
2. Large sealable jars / containers to take dye home in.
3. Notebook and pencil
4. Your lunch, snacks to sustain you and a water bottle.
5. Optional: As many Avocado pips, Sourgrass flowers (yellow oxalis) and Onion skins as you can collect
(separate red from brown).
Ilka will bring Fabric samples and other dyestuffs.
*Wear old, casual clothes you wouldn't mind splashing.
Ilka White is an artist, designer and maker of textiles. Her work often responds to the forces at play within the natural world and reflects the principals of sustainability. She is a great believer in the ability of beauty and creativity to lift the spirit. An experienced teacher, Ilka's popular classes also reflect her love of the handmade, and her contemporary use of traditional making methods.
For Information on our cancellation policy please click here
- Natural dyes to use
- Colour possibilities
- Dyeing techniques
- Notes and dyes to take home
- Rubber gloves and a bucket
- Scissors, note pad and pen
- Lunch, water bottle and snacks to sustain you
- Large sealable jars / container to take home dyes
- As many Avocado pips, onion skins as you can collect (separate red from brown).
Old clothing or an apron
Those interested in using nature to add colour