Buy a Gift Voucher
Gift this class
Olive Magic with Maria from My Green Garden
Olives straight from a tree are inedibly bitter and must be cured and then pickled somehow to make them edible. In this workshop we will cover several different techniques to cure olives, each with a different waiting - or curing - period. In order to fully experience the stages of the processes, some olives will have been partially cured before the class for you to continue the process; as well as taking home fresh olives for you to start from scratch. Tastings will be available so you can decide which style is your preferred. We will use both black and green olives. If you grow olives, bring along some samples so that we can suggest some ways to cure them.
Trainer Bio: Maria from My Green Garden. Coming from an Italian background, Maria has grown up with preserves made ritually throughout the year. For generations past, this was one way of ensuring food throughout the leaner months. This is Maria's story, which, combined with her science background, means that you will understand why preserving works as well as getting to enjoy the delicious olives that you have cured yourself.
CERES members and concession holders are entitled to a 10% discount. Enter "ceresmember" under "Booking Summary" during the checkout process.
*Please note that the CERES member or concession discount does not apply to "Bring-A-Friend" tickets which are already discounted
For Information on our cancellation policy please click here
- How to transform the raw olive into something deliciously edible
- How to cure and pickle olives using a variety of different techniques
- How to cure olives and have them ready for an antipasto platter in less than a fortnight
- Jars of olives ready to continue the pickling process at home
- Samples of olives that have been prepared ready to dress and eat
- Recipes for the techniques covered in the workshop
- Notepad and pen
- A sturdy bag or small box to carry jars of olives home
Casual. long hair tied back, closed toe footwear
Those interested in preserving olives