Buy a Gift Voucher
Gift this class
Biodiversity & Sustainable Food Systems
As part of CERES Environmental Education Course, you can enrol in 1 day workshops (professional learning days) that focus on sustainability topics. Through a mix of theory, demonstrations, hands-on and design activities you will explore biodiversity, habitat, connection to nature and sustainable food systems. Learn how CERES teaches biodiversity, explore other biodiversity programs, resources and have the opportunity to design your own environmental education activity.
Topics covered on the day:
- Understanding of global and Australian biodiversity
- Measuring Biodiversity – Habitat Quality Audit - Bird Surveys - Tree Measuring
- Biodiversity Organisations and Volunteer Opportunities
- Ways of making a difference in your backyard
- Sustainable Food Systems – small & large scale and urban systems – Guest Speaker – Chris Ennis, Manager CERES Fairfood
- CERES Sustainable Food Systems – Organic Farms, Nursery, Grocery & Market, Fair Food, Community Kitchen
Lorna has been working in environmental education and presenting to community groups on sustainability for over 13 years. She currently manages education programs at CERES and passionately focuses on adult education and training programs. Her background in sustainability stems from ecology and zoology and has broadened to community engagement, environmental management, behaviour change and farm and food programs. Lorna has worked as a ResourceSmart Facilitator in schools supporting teachers, students and school systems in sustainability management and whole school behaviour change. She has worked with schools, organisations and communities to help integrate environmental and ethical options into their systems, lives and behaviours. Lorna also has experience as a researcher, bush regenerator, environmental consultant for subject design, GIS consultant and environmental modeller.
- What is biodiversity and why preserve it
- How to measure habitat quality
- Nature connection activities
- Access to online resources and biodiversity activities
- Inspiration to teach others
- Confidence in how to create your own activities
- Pen and paper
- A desire to participate in activities and contribute to discussions!
Dress for the weather, sturdy shoes for exploring the outdoors
Beginners to Advanced levels in education and environmental studies will gain from the class